On 9 December 2014, the Post Office closed permanently having first opened in 1889. The closure is a tremendous loss as the PO and Shop has been a focal point of the village, the hub of the community and meeting place for many. The shop ceases trading on 20 December so this is a double blow and will mean a major change to the lives of many villagers.
On 12 December, villagers met at the PO/Shop to show appreciation and to give thanks to Ron Scott, who travelled daily from Bristol for almost 20 years, for being sub-postmaster, for running the shop and bringing newspapers. A presentation to Mr and Mrs Scott, who are retiring, was made on behalf of the Parish Council by Phyllis Thorne, a Parish Councillor and a villager since birth.
Together with a Post Office official, the Parish Council is still seeking someone to provide an outreach service in the village hall.